Other Sellers on Amazon
The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World (Random House Large Print) Paperback – Large Print, 20 September 2016
Paperback, Large Print
Save Extra with 3 offers
10 Days Replacement Only
|Return Reason||Return Period||Return Policy|
|Physical Damage, Defective, Wrong, or Missing item||10 days from delivery||Replacement|
Explore your book, then jump right back to where you left off with Page Flip.
View high quality images that let you zoom in to take a closer look.
Enjoy features only possible in digital – start reading right away, carry your library with you, adjust the font, create shareable notes and highlights, and more.
Discover additional details about the events, people, and places in your book, with Wikipedia integration.
Enhance your purchase
Two spiritual giants. Five days. One timeless question.
Nobel Peace Prize Laureates His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu have survived more than fifty years of exile and the soul-crushing violence of oppression. Despite their hardships—or, as they would say, because of them—they are two of the most joyful people on the planet.
In April 2015, Archbishop Tutu traveled to the Dalai Lama's home in Dharamsala, India, to celebrate His Holiness's eightieth birthday and to create what they hoped would be a gift for others. They looked back on their long lives to answer a single burning question: How do we find joy in the face of life's inevitable suffering?
They traded intimate stories, teased each other continually, and shared their spiritual practices. By the end of a week filled with laughter and punctuated with tears, these two global heroes had stared into the abyss and despair of our time and revealed how to live a life brimming with joy.
This book offers us a rare opportunity to experience their astonishing and unprecendented week together, from the first embrace to the final good-bye.
We get to listen as they explore the Nature of True Joy and confront each of the Obstacles of Joy—from fear, stress, and anger to grief, illness, and death. They then offer us the Eight Pillars of Joy, which provide the foundation for lasting happiness. Throughout, they include stories, wisdom, and science. Finally, they share their daily Joy Practices that anchor their own emotional and spiritual lives.
The Archbishop has never claimed sainthood, and the Dalai Lama considers himself a simple monk. In this unique collaboration, they offer us the reflection of real lives filled with pain and turmoil in the midst of which they have been able to discover a level of peace, of courage, and of joy to which we can all aspire in our own lives.
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on OneCard Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on Citi Debit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 2000 on Citi Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on Citi Credit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 1500 Instant Discount on Citi Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 49999 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 500 Instant Discount on Citi Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 24999 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 500 on RuPay Credit Cards. Minimum purchase of INR 3000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 250 on RuPay Debit Cards. Minimum purchase of INR 2000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 2000 on RBL Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on RBL Credit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 1500 Instant Discount on RBL Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 49999 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 500 Instant Discount on RBL Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 24999 Here's how
- No cost EMI available on select cards. Please check 'EMI options' above for more details. Here's how
- Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
About the Author
Desmond Mpilo Tutu, Archbishop Emeritus of Southern Africa, became a prominent leader in the crusade for justice and racial reconciliation in South Africa. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009. In 1994, Tutu was appointed chair of South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission by Nelson Mandela, where he pioneered a new way for countries to move forward after experiencing civil conflict and oppression. He was the founding chair of The Elders, a group of global leaders working together for peace and human rights. Archbishop Tutu is regarded as a leading moral voice and an icon of hope. Throughout his life, he has cared deeply about the needs of people around the world, teaching love and compassion for all. He lives in Cape Town, South Africa. For more information please visit tutu.org.za.
Douglas Abrams is an author, editor, and literary agent. He is the founder and president of Idea Architects, a creative book and media agency helping visionaries to create a wiser, healthier, and more just world. He is also the co-founder with Pam Omidyar and Desmond Tutu of HumanJourney.com, a public benefit company working to share life-changing and world-changing ideas. Doug has worked with Desmond Tutu as his cowriter and editor for over a decade, and before founding his own literary agency, he was a senior editor at HarperCollins and also served for nine years as the religion editor at the University of California Press. He believes strongly in the power of books and media to catalyze the next stage of global evolutionary culture. He lives in Santa Cruz, California. For more information, please visit ideaarchitects.com and humanjourney.com.
From the Hardcover edition.
- ASIN : 1524708631
- Publisher : Random House Large Print; Large type / Large print edition (20 September 2016)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 544 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9781524708634
- ISBN-13 : 978-1524708634
- Item Weight : 408 g
- Dimensions : 13.94 x 2.97 x 20.9 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: #240,691 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the authors
Reviewed in India on 29 December 2020
Reviews with images
Top reviews from India
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Coming to the product quality. It’s again 5 star.
By Paramjit on 29 December 2020
Coming to the product quality. It’s again 5 star.
By Creaductive on 1 February 2021
Thank u so much his holiness the Dalai Lama , Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams for this wonderful gift to mankind.
it was such a treat to read through every question,every problem..
Top reviews from other countries
The two men are clearly great friends but that isn't enough. I doubt the conversations of any great people if just recounted without editing would actually seem anything other than mundane.
A great disappointment.
It is not a religious tract or teaching, it is a happy conversation I feel privileged to overhear. Enjoy it.