Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Clay Boutwell
Clay & Yumi have co-written dozens of books on the Japanese language. Their team also publishes a monthly magazine on Japanese language and culture at MakotoPlus.com. They also run the free language lesson site, TheJapanesePage.com and their shop, TheJapanShop.com
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By Clay Boutwell
Includes FREE sound files of all the Japanese examples and Anki flashcard decks of the kanji and examples (download link found on the last page).
Learn the essential Japanese characters to pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test beginner level N5. This comprehensive guide not only covers the 103 kanji characters required for the exam, but also includes many examples and bonus material such as a PDF version, sound files of all the Japanese examples, and two Anki flashcard decks for effective learning.
- Covers 103 essential kanji as found on the JLPT N5 test
- Includes multiple eBook versions: PDF and ePub for you to use on any device
- FREE sound files of all the readings and examples found in the book
- Two FREE Anki flashcard decks on the kanji and the examples
- Mnemonic and helpful comments throughout
- Every kanji has its correct stroke order shown
- Each kanji has multiple examples and an example sentence showing usage
There is no charge for the bonus material. The link is found on the last page of the book. If you have any trouble with the download, our email is also found in the book. We'll respond as quickly as possible.
Whether you are planning to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N5 or just would like a solid start on learning kanji, this book will teach you the most useful kanji in an easy-to-understand way.
In this book, you'll find a step-by-step approach to mastering JLPT N5 kanji, with clear explanations of each character's meaning, stroke order, and usage. Each kanji is presented with its onyomi (Chinese) and kunyomi (Japanese) readings, as well as common vocabulary words and phrases that use the kanji.
With the bonus content, you can easily use the book on any device since it includes multiple eBook versions: PDF and ePub. The free sound files of all the readings and examples found in the book have been recorded by native speakers to help you learn correct pronunciation. The two free Anki flashcard decks provide an effective way to practice and reinforce your knowledge of the characters and their meanings.
While there are about two thousand kanji needed to be literate in Japan, this book focuses on teaching you the most useful kanji in an easy-to-understand way. You'll learn the most common readings, useful example jukugo (kanji combinations), and understand usage with an example sentence for each kanji.
Remember, the link to download the bonus material is found on the last page of the book. With its comprehensive approach, user-friendly design, and practical learning tools, this book is the perfect way to start your journey towards mastering JLPT N5 kanji.
Here's to your success in learning Japanese!
Taking the Japanese Language Proficiency Test is a great way to not only assess your Japanese skills, but also to give yourself a concrete goal for your learning.
Unfortunately, with goal-setting, there is usually the problem of maintaining motivation. By paying money and making plans to sit in a test (usually) in a different city; however, you are making a major investment of time and money. There are few pressures in life that can motivate better than time or money. That’s why we always recommend any serious student of Japanese to sign up and study for the JLPT.
Japanese Vocabulary for JLPT N5 covers all the vocabulary needed to pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test level N5. This is the easiest of the test levels and is suitable for beginners who have mastered hiragana.
Download the sound files and listen while studying the book. 1,445 individual files plus eight compilation files are also included. These have each word followed by the example sentence for sequential learning. The download link is found on the last page.
Whether you are planning to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N5 or just would like a solid start on learning the basics of Japanese grammar, this book will teach you the most useful particles, counters, and grammatical patterns in an easy-to-understand way. Download the MP3s and the accompanying PDF for a complete learning system (included for no extra charge).
* Download the sound files for every Japanese example sentence within. Link found on the last page.
* Explanations in plain English with several examples per grammar point.
* Most example sentences are broken down with a literal word-by-word translation to aid comprehension.
Newly updated with 5 more short paragraphs
Looking to improve your reading comprehension in Japanese? Whether you're gearing up for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N5 or simply looking to boost your language skills, this book has got you covered.
With three unique approaches to practicing reading, you'll have ample opportunities to hone your skills and build your confidence.
1) 短文（80文字） short paragraphs with about 80 characters followed by one or more questions for comprehension. Japanese Reading for JLPT N5
2) 中分 (250文字) Mid-length paragraphs with about 250 characters followed by one or more questions for comprehension
3) 情報検索 In this section, you will be asked to extract necessary information using short text, graphs, or other visuals (such as timetables, schedules, or pamphlets).
Sounds Files: While the actual test does not include a listening element, we are also including sound files for all the Japanese for no extra charge. The download link is found on the last page.
Remember, setting goals is a powerful motivator. So why not set a goal for yourself and work towards success?
Click "Buy Now" and start improving your Japanese reading comprehension today!
You Save: ₹ 96.00(100%)
The Strange Affair of October 24th, 1859
When a flurry of forgeries appear in museums and among collectors, the members of the Agora, a society dedicated to the betterment of man, take it upon themselves to stop the rogues.
But among the members, there is a traitor. Among the forgers, there is a murderer.
As friends betray their own and souls are sentenced to death, suspicions and tensions mount. Only one man, Carl Brooke, has the knowledge and expertise to stop the murderer.
But will he succeed? Or will the night of October 24th, 1859 forever remain an unresolved mystery?
If you like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes books or stories set in the 19th century and with a touch of mystery, you will love Two Tocks before Midnight.
This is the first in the Agora mystery series.
Carl Brooke and the Agora society’s crime-solving escapades continue with additional stories. If you would like to read them all, please search for "The Agora Letters" for five stories for the price of three.
Perfect for upper beginner level students of Japanese.
BONUS! Get FREE MP3s of the story read by a native Japanese voice actress, one read at normal speed and one read slowly. Listen while reading. The link to the MP3s is found on the last page.
EXTRA BONUS! Included with the MP3s, are PDFs of all the vocabulary and grammar points. Feel free to print these out to use while reading.
Now with Furigana! All our readers now have furigana in both the paperback and Kindle versions. Furigana is the small hiragana over the kanji--most devices support this feature.
Have you studied for a year or two but just don’t feel like you are progressing? This book is for you too. We suggest reading the Japanese only section first (includes furigana) and then go through the line-by-line running gloss section to cement understanding and learn vocabulary.
* All Japanese have furigana (printed version and Kindle version on supported devices (all new devices)) and romaji for those starting out.
* Three complete Japanese short stories. Each story is presented in three unique ways.
* The Fountain of Youth: A traditional Japanese folk tale
* The Hundred Tales Game: With the scariest of all endings
* The Wise Child: A child shows his smarts by answering the question, which is farther, Edo or the Sun.
* GLOSS: Read the story with a running gloss—understand completely. Every sentence is broken down word-for-word and with English explanation of the grammar.
* GRAMMAR: Grammar notes are presented with the running gloss.
* JAPANESE ONLY: The full story in Japanese only (without the running gloss) is also provided so you can practice reading without interruption.
* ENGLISH SUMMARY: Finally, we have included a simple and mostly literal English translation for you to check your understanding (Don’t cheat! Work through the Japanese first!).
* Short stories makes reading full Japanese texts possible.
* Download the FREE MP3s to listen while you study.
Finally, we invite the reader to contact us with questions or requests for future Japanese readers. You will find our personal email addresses in the book. To your Japanese!
What are you waiting for? Ninja up your Japanese. Click “Buy Now” now!
Plug and play vocabulary to learn Japanese sentence structure (文型 bunkei).
This book offers a way to practice grammar, vocabulary, and reading using JLPT N5 level grammatical patterns in various example sentences. For each grammatical pattern, we'll switch out words and point out construction rules to give you a full understanding how to use that form.
This book includes:
- 34 highly useful beginner-level grammatical patterns
- At least five example sentences for each pattern
- 200 sound files for every example sentence found in the book
- Total sentence breakdowns--fully understand the mechanics of each sentence, the vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure
- Meaning, usage, and construction of each grammatical pattern explained in plain English
- Practice by creating Japanese sentences from each grammatical pattern (answers given)
- The download link for the sound files (plus PDF version of the book) found on the last page
Japanese Grammar for English Speakers
We highly recommend reading each example sentence several times—even dozens of times. Learning isolated vocabulary may be useful, but learning vocabulary within a natural context (sentence or phrase) while absorbing how the grammar is more efficient.
While you read (paperback, tablet, or computer), you may want to use your smartphone to play the sound files.
We assume you are using a textbook for your regular studies and have some (if only a touch) familiarity with very basic Japanese grammar. If not, we highly recommend getting a textbook to keep your learning structured before proceeding with this book. At the very minimum, to use this book, you must have a solid knowledge of hiragana.
Discover the clever and mischievous young man, Hikoichi, through these four traditional Japanese stories, all presented in Japanese with furigana and full explanation of the vocabulary and grammar. Designed for upper beginner students of Japanese, this reader is a fantastic resource for those who want to practice their Japanese reading skills.
- Furigana over the kanji in the line-by-line breakdown section
- No furigana for the "Japanese Only" section to practice reading the story in "real" Japanese once you've gone through the story in the line-by-line section
- Four full traditional Japanese stories about Hikoichi.
- Every sentence is broken down word-for-word and with explanation of the grammar.
- Finally, we have included a simple and mostly literal English translation for you to check your understanding (Don’t cheat! Work through the Japanese first!).
- Download the FREE sound files to listen while you study. Each story
- Download the FREE Anki decks to master the vocabulary before even reading the stories
Four Stories about Hikoichi
- The first story has the lord of the castle testing Hikoichi in a Solomon-esque question—which young lord is the true young lord?
- The second story shows choosing the first and most favorable isn't always best. In the end, only Hikoichi can enjoy the cherry blossoms.
- The third story is about a mysterious, but living umbrella. Some things are just too good to be true.
- We wrap things up with Hikoichi’s encounter with a Tengu—a mythical creature whose straw raincoat renders its wearer invisible.
Each story is broken down word-for-word, with a clear explanation of the grammar to aid comprehension. A full Japanese-only version is also included for uninterrupted reading practice. Plus, a simple and mostly literal English translation is provided for self-checking, although it's recommended to work through the Japanese first to maximize learning.
To enhance your reading experience, you'll also receive free MP3s of the stories read by a native Japanese speaker, so you can listen while you study. Use the free Anki decks to practice the vocabulary before reading.
If you have any questions or requests for future Japanese readers, the authors have provided their personal email addresses in the book for you to contact them. Please note that hiragana knowledge is required to fully benefit from this reader. Start your Japanese reading journey today with Hikoichi's adventures!
While beginners to Japanese can get a lot from this, it is best for upper beginners to lower intermediates. You will need to know kana very well and understand basic Japanese vocabulary and grammar.
Finally, we invite the reader to contact us with questions or requests for future Japanese readers. You will find our personal email addresses in the book. To your Japanese!
** Recommended for Beginners of Japanese who have mastered Hiragana and basic Japanese grammar **
Read the most famous Japanese fairy tale in real Japanese! Every line and every word is explained and defined. Sound files Included at no extra charge. One is read at the normal speed and the other at a slow, easy to follow speed. You will find the link to download the MP3s on the last page.
THE STORY Momotaro is a boy born from a peach (momo) who grows up to be a strong, brave man. Oni (ogres) are attacking the village. The villagers beg their hero, Momotaro, to purge their lands of the evil Oni. He sets off with aid from three unusual allies.
The second story in the book is the familiar Tortoise and the Hare story (usagi to kame).
ABOUT THIS EBOOK This book contains several versions of the story. First, we have the story broken down line by line with every vocabulary word defined and explained.
Next, we go through major grammatical patterns found in the story. After that, read the story with no English, both in hiragana only (with spaces) and in natural Japanese (kanji included).
Lastly, we are including a simple English translation, which should be avoided until you are sure you understand the story or find it too difficult to figure out on your own.
You may want to try to read the story either in Hiragana or in natural Japanese first. Or if you are a beginner, it may be better to go through the vocabulary first. Any way you do it, this book offers several ways to read, listen, and learn.
FOR BEGINNERS Momotaro is designed for those new to Japanese. We recommend learning hiragana first, but we are also including romaji so you can be sure you are reading with the correct pronunciation.
FIFTY Highly Useful Kotowaza--Japanese Proverbs with detailed explanations and illustrations.
These proverbs represent some of the most useful kotowaza heard in daily Japanese life. You'll notice them in movies, in writing, and most importantly spoken by friends and colleagues. Knowing common kotowaza will not only help you express your thoughts more clearly, but can take your Japanese to a whole new level.
* Fifty Useful Japanese Proverbs with illustrations
* Literal English translations and similar English proverbs
* Helpful notes explain grammar and background
* An Example sentence shows how the proverb is used
* Download includes 150 sound files for all proverbs and example sentences
* Vocabulary defined for every Japanese word
* For Beginners up
So what are you waiting for? If you are a student of Japanese, give your vocabulary a boost by adding Kotowaza to your cart now.
Recommended for beginners and lower intermediates of Japanese.
52 Pages 3 eBook Formats 21 Sound Files Scan QR Codes for Quick Access to Sound Files Free Anki Flashcard Deck (for this issue's main story)
Now includes handy QR codes on each page to scan and instantly hear that page's sound files. (You can still download the sound files and PDF for no extra charge)
FREE sound files of the stories read by a native Japanese speaker--download link found on the last page. Listen while reading.
FREE Anki flashcard deck of the vocabulary found in the intermediate story. (Included in the free download)
The Fun Japanese Not Found in Textbooks. If you like our readers and lessons, you will love Makoto, the magazine filled with articles on kanji, culture, idioms, proverbs, geography, history, etymology, JLPT tips, Japanese trivia, and much more. Not only that, but every issue includes two brand new stories or essays with newly recorded high-quality sound files for you to download for no extra charge.
IN THIS ISSUE: June 2023
52 Pages 3 eBook Formats 21 Sound Files 1 Anki Flashcard Deck
Laughs, Jokes, Riddles, and Puns
Prefecture Spotlight: Iwate
Anime Phrase of the Day
Haiku : 正岡子規
Kanji Spotlight: 前
Grammar Time! だれ・どなた
Japanese Readers: Shikke (beginner) + Buying Mittens Part 2 (Intermediate)
For upper beginners.
Embark on the journey! Dare to tackle short Japanese passages, and if you emerge triumphantly at the chapter's end, you'll have completed your mission, acquiring cultural insights, fresh vocabulary, and enhanced reading comprehension along the way.
Dive into news, cultural pieces, and historical snippets with this innovative series featuring engaging and informative ultra-brief essays in Japanese, tailored to upper beginner and intermediate proficiency levels.
Includes free download of all the sound files and Anki flashcard decks of all the vocabulary in the essays.
Enhance your Japanese vocabulary and reading abilities using the Nihongo Nano Narrative essays. Although you can tackle these lessons in any sequence, consider these helpful suggestions:
- - Examine the Key Vocabulary
- - Begin utilizing the provided Anki deck to learn unfamiliar vocabulary (refer to the last page for the download link)
- - Read the story in either the EASY version or the native-level NORMAL version, or both, with furigana and a running glossary
- - Listen to the audio file while reading once more (also check the last page for the download link)
- - Read the essays without furigana or vocabulary aids
- - Check your understanding with the English translation
Bravo! You've successfully completed that challenge.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Though you're not a novice, it sometimes feels that way. Maintaining focus on lengthy Japanese texts proves challenging, and you seek assistance with kanji and advanced grammatical structures.
If this resonates with you, this book is tailor-made for your needs.
- Short but informative essays
- Full vocabulary breakdowns
- Tricky grammatical patterns explained
- Anki flashcard decks
- Sound files of the essays
- Individual PDFs of the essays in a slightly different format to make it easier to print and study each essay individually
- ←Previous Page
- Next Page→