Other Sellers on Amazon
+ ₹ 60.00 Delivery charge
+ ₹ 25.00 Delivery charge
The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga Paperback – Illustrated, 18 April 1995
Frequently bought together
From the Inside Flap
From the Back Cover
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
- Publisher : RHUS; Reprint edition (18 April 1995)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 384 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0517884313
- ISBN-13 : 978-0517884317
- Item Weight : 593 g
- Dimensions : 16.87 x 2.44 x 23.11 cm
- Country of Origin : USA
- Best Sellers Rank: #53,229 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Review this product
Top reviews from India
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Effect of Yoga on the body's Endocrine system and Spine
2. The most important 84 Aasanas from Generic Yoga perspective and HOW to execute them. Please note that the photos are that of the author himself, when he was young. However they do not explain too much in detail about the Aasanas. One can purchase those Yoga anatomy books or search online for this kind of info
3. Most important of all from physical exercise perspective: Diet. This is plenty
4. Best thing that I loved about the book: Praanaayaama. Swami Vivekananda directly jumps into the 1:4:2 breathing for Praanaayaama but Swami Vishnudevananda goes step by step for Initiates as well as for intermediates as well as advanced prospects of Meditation. The Naadi information he mentions here was the best I've read in writ as most of my knowledge was from online.
5. Vedanta and Chakra knowledge: I am a follower of Swami Vivekananda but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the words of any enlightened person and Swami's words in this book are pearls of wisdom.
In short, loved every bit of it. Yeah sure if ones expecting detailed anatomy charts, discussion about each Aasana then please look elsewhere because Yoga is a means for Union with God by bringing your Inner Self in Union with the External Nature, of which Aasanas are a minor part. With this knowledge, thoroughly enjoy the book as I have.
It also details training charts and what Aasanas should children/healthy adults/older adults/patients can follow so this book is a Gem of there ever was one. A true Complete effort from the Swami on Yoga.
NOTE: i don't have one but i am sure that any student would DOUBLY benefit by having a Guru to guide them. That's when this book will appeal even more.
I have gone through many books regarding Yoga, but rarely do I find that can hold and deliver the real spiritual, physical and overall essence of Yoga. This books gives you a great idea of what this ancient Indian treasure of wisdom called Yoga actually is. Yoga was not just to make you physically fit and strong. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Yoga in its real sense goes much deeper and higher! Its main aim is to mold the human being into a complete and whole being in itself, so that at last it can reunite with that Supreme Being. Vishnu Devananda explores this important aspect into great details in this book. If you are looking for a book that just shows you the various Asanas and illustrate the postures, then this may disappoint you for sure. May be you have many other books in the market that illustrates the postures better than this, with more colored and fancy pictures.
But if you really want to dive deeper into the philosophy of Yoga, this is the book for you. Not many can maintain the simplicity and at the same time, the depth & dignity of such an universal and vast subject as Yoga. The author has achieved that pretty close in this beautiful book. I really loved it!
Top reviews from other countries
The philosophy of Yoga is described in a very straightforward way.
There are a number of progressive training schedules from beginner to advanced.
If you want to learn traditional health giving Hatha Yoga, and not some made up modern version, get this book.