- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 2676 KB
- Print Length: 227 pages
- Publisher: Ebury Press (20 October 2011)
- Sold by: Amazon Asia-Pacific Holdings Private Limited
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00DW0YP2E
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Customer Reviews: 2,137 customer ratings
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #27 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Don'T Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Review this product
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I don't have any weight machine, so I can't tell you how much I have lost. But I have measuring tape and I have measured that my waist has been reduced THREE INCHES in more or less three weeks (not 1 inch per week). I didn't see much changes in 1st week. But I started feeling good within few days. I have trusted her every impractical word without doubting and implemented it.
Trust me guys, losing weight or fat is not a big deal but adopting a healthy lifestyle and discipline is a real challenge as I was extremely indiscipline. To adopt a healthy lifestyle it demands a serious and sincere effort. Once you adopt it you don't have to be bothered about weight/fat loss. It will happen naturally.
I never gave up. And today I am successful.
After going through this book I didn't follow any cases of her clients' which suits me best but I have made my own routine according to my choices and preferences. It's not that difficult. If I can then you also can. Just read the cases carefully and try to find the logic. That's it.
I start my day with a fruit. I enjoy it with a stroll on my roof under the sun. It's very pleasant as the sun is not so harsh and I complete my daily quota of Vitamin D. In my family, I don't know why everyone is afraid of ghee, oil, cheese. so, we don't use so much of ghee or oil while cooking. But as rujuta says "EAT FAT TO LOSE FAT", so I prepare my own breakfast meal loaded with ghee which I love too. Because that's the only meal where I can have my ghee peacefully. Even if I make a simple omelette, I make it with ghee instead of oil (sometimes with little ajwain, black pepper powder, few red chilli flakes and salt. thats it. isn't it very simple? and tasty too. Try it..), and from now on I never try to cook my dishes with zero oil and even low oil (ghee). Guys just throw out that olive oil or any fancy oil you have, and bring back that traditional oil your mom or grandma used to cook regular meal.
I love coconut, I knew it that it's very healthy. But everyone again is scared of that magic fruit. So now I can have my coconut guilt free and I do so. I like it more to have as whole rather than in prepared dishes. So I have my coconut (a lot) as some of my in between meals.
Now I always keep a pack of cheese slices in my refrigerator which I love and rujuta recommends also. My sister tried to tease me by taunting "Cheese diet", but I totally ignored her. One thing I strictly follow is that I totally avoid refined flour or maida in daily basis. I have reserved it for my junk food mistakes..
I am a bengali girl, so I can't live without my "macher jhol vat" and so I have not sacrificed my rice (white rice). I have it with my lunch and dinner guilt free. For breakfast I have wholewheat roti brushed with lots of ghee with sabzi cooked in ghee or any stuffed paratha brushed with ghee.
In that three weeks I have unintentionally skipped some of my in between meals, my proper dinner time or lunchtime has been missed sometimes and I also had some indulgence of junk food (chocolates, snacks, patties etc). But still I have got excellent results.
My skin is now looking fresh and glowing like never before and that too without my expensive night cream. Really, it was really expensive, and effective too. But now I don't need that.
Now, let's talk about exercise.
I don't have access to any fancy expensive gym. So I started doing surya namaskar every evening. As I have read in a book of BKS Iyengar (the foremost guru of Yoga) that our body remains very stiff in the morning, so you can't stretch it at its fullest, so it's better to do Yoga in the evening. So I do it in the evening. Though it's not written in this book but I have read this on Rujuta's blog that she recommends to fix a definite time in the day for exercise.
I started doing only one round of surya namaskar. On the first day I was not even able to make the postures correctly. But I tried my best, and believe me I was DEAD. But next day I tried again, and next day...................
Now I can perform four rounds of surya namaskar with ease.
And all of these within just THREE WEEKS. I am really impressed with myself.
Now I don't judge myself by a random digit displayed on a stupid weighing machine.
Caution: Surya Namaskar done correctly is of immense benefits. But the same surya namaskar done incorrectly can harm you a lot.
So first try to correct the postures then increase the number of rounds to be performed. And don't rush. It takes time to be perfect.
These were my experiences but I also want to tell you something.
Respect your body's limitations and overcome them. Just don't push your body, or give it a deadline.
Just trust your taste buds, follow your heart and let your body work on its own wisdom.
Love and respect your body the way it is, and your body will shower you with LOVE.
1. She says that diabetics would be better of having sugar in the tea rather than artificial sweetners (asparatame, stevia etc). Any Doctor and Dietician (who has done a degree / diploma from an accredited college) will tell you that while taking tea without anything is the best option, however, if you like tea sweet then use a couple of pills of asparatame or stevia but do not use sugar. This will definitely kill in the long run. If she has a degree/diploma from an accredited institution then that should be revoked or college's credentials should be revoked because this is the most dangerous advice any one can give.
2. She says that benefits of olive oil are due to marketing effects and no one is looking at the holistic effects of other factors that Italians or Mediterranean people enjoy like family atmosphere, stress free lives etc. Then she goes ahead and propagates how ghee is great and advocates use of it since a tribal/rural community in the Himalayas uses ghee and are very healthy (she herself says that they lead stress free lives in a pollution free environment and get lot of exercise). Hey what happened to looking holistically at the community and factoring in their exercise, pollution free living etc for their longevity. Ghee is basically saturated fat and dehydrating butter will give you ghee - saturated fats in any form - ghee, butter, animal fats are bad and are implicated in heart disease.
3. She also gives the mantra that eating many (5 to 6 times) as the panacea for losing weight. Research has indicated that grazers (small meals multiple times) or gorgers (eating 3 big meals) does not have any bearing on weight loss. In fact lot of research indicates that grazers tend to overeat since multiple meals leads to calories miscalculations because people tend to not be underestimate and multiple miscalculations over the day leads larger numbers. Also the insulin response tends to smaller for grazers and larger for gorgers but it happens multiple times for grazers and fewer times for gorgers leading to evening out of things.
The book is filled with how cool Rujuta is - Kareena depends on her more than oxygen, Anil Ambani had to call her for much needed dietary advice and then there is Amrita Arora and now us mere mortals also need Rujuta....
Coming to my own experience - her diet plan did not lead to any weight loss or reduction in cholesterol after 6 - 8 weeks. Finally I decided to buy a diet book written by a real Doctor and backed by the latest research - How Not to Diet by Dr Michael Greger. After 8 weeks and going down 6 kilos I just have this to say that please do yourselves a favor and get some real advice.
End Note : Some reviewers have glibly said how they lost weight eating ghee - if you understand biology then one will know that even a Keto diet will lead to dropping of many kilos in 2 - 3 weeks however most of the weight will be water weight when glycogen and water is released from muscles leading to lean tissue loss. Also diets loaded in saturated fats will in 4 - 8 weeks increase cholesterol levels for most people above 35 and is down right dangerous. Eating copious amounts of ghee might lead to slimmer figures in a couple of weeks and cardiac arrest and death in a couple of decades!!!
If you find this review useful the please press the "Helpful" button.
A) the book scores in it's core content means the author knows what she writes
B) the principles laid down in this book are easily applicable in real life
C) the author shatters down many long held diet myths
D) the language is lucid and a touch satirical, in a good sense though
E) the author does not suggest exotic food items in the diet plan. Every single suggestion made in this book can be afforded by a common man.
Top international reviews
1) It takes us to the basics of eating right. A good knowledge of Ayurveda by the author, forms the foundation of most of the advise given.
2) Rujuta speaks boldly about the trends of the diet industry and I totally agree with her.
3) She keeps reiterating the importance of good balanced diet and exercise for healthy body and mind. Everyone these days only talks about “dieting” but not enough about physical activities.
I would like to recommend this book to my family and my friends because there is lot of conflicting information easily accessible outside, but this book goes to our roots, our rich concepts of Ayurveda and it has convinced me how balanced and sustainable diet is solutions to most of our current problems of life style related health problems.
Thank you Rujuta for writing this book.