Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE Delivery
+ ₹ 90.00 Delivery charge
The Essential Collection for Young Readers Paperback – Abridged, 9 June 2015
Save Extra with 4 offers
- Bank Offer (6): 10% Instant Discount up to Rs. 1500 on minimum order of Rs. 5,000 with Citi Credit Card, Debit Card and EMI transactions. Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to Rs 1500 on minimum order of Rs. 5,000 with Axis Bank Credit Card and Credit Card EMI transactions. Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to Rs. 1500 on minimum order of Rs. 5,000 with ICICI Bank Credit Card and Credit Card EMI transactions. Here's how
- 5% Instant Discount up to Rs.750 + up to 5% Reward Points with Amazon Pay ICICI Bank Credit Card (on minimum purchase of Rs.5000). Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to Rs. 750 on minimum order of Rs. 5,000 with Axis Bank Debit Card and Debit Card EMI transactions. Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to Rs. 750 on minimum order of Rs. 5,000 with ICICI Bank Debit Card and Debit Card EMI transactions. Here's how
- Cashback (2): 5% back with Amazon Pay ICICI Bank Credit card for Prime-members. 3% back for everybody else. Here's how
- Get 10% up to ₹150 back, pay with Amazon Pay UPI. Valid once per customer on 1st Amazon Pay UPI transaction on App. Click here to check eligibility Here's how
- No Cost EMI: No cost EMI available on select cards. Please check 'EMI options' above for more details. Here's how
- Partner Offers (2): Get 25% back up to ₹250 with Amazon Pay Later. Valid on 1st Pay Later transaction. Check eligibility here! Here's how
- Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
Frequently bought together
More items to explore
About the Author
Ruskin Bond has been writing for over sixty years and has now over 120 titles in print - novels, collections of stories, poetry, essays, anthologies and books for children. His first novel, The Room on the Roof, received the prestigious John Llewellyn Rhys award in 1957. He has also received the Padma Shri (1999), the Padma Bhushan (2014) and two awards from the Sahitya Akademi - one for his short stories and another for his writings for children. In 2012, the Delhi government gave him its Lifetime Achievement award.
Born in 1934, Ruskin Bond grew up in Jamnagar, Shimla, New Delhi and Dehradun. Apart from three years in the UK, he has spent all his life in India and now lives in Mussoorie with his adopted family.
From the Publisher
Conversation with Ruskin Bond
An Introduction by Ruskin Bond
To say something about the ‘essential Bond,’ makes me feel as though I am an essential ingredient in a recipe for some exotic dish. I wouldn’t mind the exotic dish provided I’m not an ingredient. I’m told that an ancestor of mine fell prey to a group of cannibals on a remote Pacific island, and was served up with breadfruit and shark-fin soup. If that be the case, I’d rather remain ‘inessential’.
Occasionally I have to look in a mirror. And what do I see? Purple nose, double chin, double tummy. That’s the ‘essential’ Bond at eighty, I suppose. And in many ways I am a very physical person. I still write by hand. My ball-point or roller-ball pen glides over the surface of the paper without any effort. It has had years of practice. It is the link between my hand and my heart, or between my mind and the letters that form on this writing-pad. Nothing else will do now.
I find typing too mechanical. I tried dictating once, but became self-conscious, unable to express myself in ‘true sentences’.
Everyone has his or her own way of writing. The ‘essential’Bond likes the physical contact with paper.
This volume is a pretty good mix of stories written over a period of sixty years of putting pen to paper. I must have gone through two or three thousand pens during that time. I did not keep the pens, but I kept most of the stories—a few hundred of them, anyway, starting with The Room on the Roof when I was just out of school. In those days, most of us in India travelled by train, the air services still being in their infancy, and a number of my early stories took place on trains or at railway stations. You had only to spend an hour on a railway platform to get a story!
After a few years in London and New Delhi, I came to live in the hills, and this is where I have written most of my stories, even those that look back upon my childhood and boyhood in Dehradun and elsewhere. But they are not presented in any particular order. Each story stands on its own. It could have been written anywhere and at any time. Sometimes a young reader comes up to me and asks, ‘What happened to that girl on Deoli platform—the girl with the baskets—the one you couldn’t forget?’
Well, that story was written over fifty years ago, and it’s nice to know that the young reader of today is touched by it. I am now ‘old and grey and full of sleep’, but that girl on the platform is still there, as young and beautiful and sweet as ever, and I still see her in my dreams. That’s the ‘essential’ Bond—still dreaming…
Read this book to enter the fascinating world of Ruskin Bond with his most beloved stories. The stories included in this collection are,
All Creatures Great and Small, The Four Feathers, Growing up with Trees, The Funeral, Coming Home to Dehra, Our Great Escape, The Last Tonga Ride, The Night Train at Deoli, The Coral Tree, Love and Cricket, The Night the Roof Blew off, The Photograph, The Tunnel, The Overcoat, The Girl on the Train, The Woman on Platform No. 8, The Fight, A Long Walk for Bina, A Case for Inspector Lal, The Thief’s Story, The Trouble with Jinns, Adventures in Reading and The Blue Umbrella.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
- Item Weight : 227 g
- Paperback : 192 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9788129137005
- ISBN-13 : 978-8129137005
- Product Dimensions : 12.9 x 1.24 x 19.81 cm
- Publisher : Rupa Publications India (9 June 2015)
- Language: : English
- ASIN : 8129137003
- Best Sellers Rank: #121 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Review this product
Read reviews that mention
Top reviews from India
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Worth buying 😊