Follow the Author
The One and Only Ivan CD Audio CD – Import, 30 April 2013
Save Extra with 3 offers
10 Days Replacement Only
|Return Reason||Return Period||Return Policy|
|Physical Damage, Defective, Wrong, or Missing item||10 days from delivery||Replacement|
Enhance your purchase
The #1 New York Times bestselling and Newbery Award-winning novel The One and Only Ivan is now a major motion picture streaming on Disney+
This unforgettable novel from renowned author Katherine Applegate celebrates the transformative power of unexpected friendship. Inspired by the true story of a captive gorilla known as Ivan, this illustrated book is told from the point of view of Ivan himself.
Having spent twenty-seven years behind the glass walls of his enclosure in a shopping mall, Ivan has grown accustomed to humans watching him. He hardly ever thinks about his life in the jungle. Instead, Ivan occupies himself with television, his friends Stella and Bob, and painting. But when he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from the wild, he is forced to see their home, and his art, through new eyes.
In the tradition of timeless stories like Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little, Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create an unforgettable story of friendship, art, and hope.
The One and Only Ivan features first-person narrative; author's use of literary devices (personification, imagery); and story elements (plot, character development, perspective).
This acclaimed middle grade novel is an excellent choice for tween readers in grades 5 to 8, for independent reading, homeschooling, and sharing in the classroom.
Plus don't miss The One and Only Bob, Katherine Applegate's return to the world of Ivan, Bob, and Ruby!
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on OneCard Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on Citi Debit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 2000 on Citi Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on Citi Credit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 1500 Instant Discount on Citi Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 49999 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 500 Instant Discount on Citi Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 24999 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 500 on RuPay Credit Cards. Minimum purchase of INR 3000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 250 on RuPay Debit Cards. Minimum purchase of INR 2000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 2000 on RBL Credit Card EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- 10% Instant Discount up to INR 1750 on RBL Credit Card Non-EMI Trxn. Min purchase value INR 5000 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 1500 Instant Discount on RBL Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 49999 Here's how
- Additional Flat INR 500 Instant Discount on RBL Credit Card Trxn. Min purchase value INR 24999 Here's how
- No cost EMI available on select cards. Please check 'EMI options' above for more details. Here's how
- Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
“Narrator Adam Grupper is gruff in his portrayal of Ivan, capturing the ape’s voice and unique perspective....his approach will delight young listeners.” — Publishers Weekly
From the Back Cover
Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.
Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.
Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.
Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.
- Publisher : HarperFestival; Unabridged edition (30 April 2013)
- Language : English
- Audio CD : 3 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0062285300
- ISBN-13 : 978-0062285300
- Reading age : 8 - 12 years
- Item Weight : 68 g
- Dimensions : 13.21 x 2.03 x 14.48 cm
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Reviewed in India on 14 September 2021
Reviews with images
Top reviews from India
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
By Dev on 14 September 2021
Top reviews from other countries
I was asked by one of my students to get The One and Only Ivan for our school library and because I am a delightful person I bought a copy. Then I read it. We like to vet as many of the books that we can so that we don’t cause any upset to our students. I really wasn’t prepared for this story.
I am not a lover of animal stories. It isn’t that I actively won’t read them but they wouldn’t be my first choice. The One and Only Ivan is based on the true story of Ivan the gorilla who was kept in captivity in a mall in America. In this story, the animals are anthropomorphised and we see from their point of view what it is like to live in captivity. The other animals – mainly the elephants Ruby and Stella – make Ivan remember what life is like outside of captivity.
The One and Only Ivan had me in bits. If you do read it then please keep the box of tissues handy because you will need them.
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate is available now.
I must admit, it took me a little while to get into the book. It is written in an unusual way - very short paragraphs of one or two sentences, which at first felt disjointed. But bear with it.
The story is told from the point of view of Ivan, a silver-back gorilla who is kept in a cage 'domain' in a shopping mall. He watches as life passes him by along with his few companions. He has trouble remembering anything much from his past and relies on Stella the elephant to do this. One day a new baby elephant arrives and she begins to change Ivan's outlook.
This is a charming story, providing an interesting insight of how life might be if you were a captive gorilla. Its a tale of friendship, determination and hope. It as a joy to read and would appeal to older readers who are interested in animals (it is based on some true facts) and protecting them.