Shadow in the Woods and Other Scary Stories: An Acorn Book (Mister Shivers #2) (Library Edition) Hardcover – Import, 7 July 2020
Save Extra with 2 offers
Enhance your purchase
Praise for Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories (Mister Shivers #1):
Selected by the New York Public Library as one of 2019's Best Books for Kids!
* "Brallier's (The Last Kids on Earth and the Cosmic Beyond, 2018, etc.) strong horror chops translate well into this Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark-lite package for early chapter-book readers. Rubegni mixes high-contrast spot and full-page illustrations, positioning sharply outlined characters against smudgy charcoal backgrounds... Simplified spooks for the we-want-it-just-scary-enough crowd." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
Praise for Shadow in the Woods and Other Scary Stories (Mister Shivers #2):
Selected by the Chicago Public Library as one of 2020's Best Books for Kids!
“Brallier effectively repeats the screamworthy formula established in Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories (2019) to add a sense of familiarity to the foreboding. Rubegni’s full-color cartoon illustrations depict racially diverse schoolchildren… The abrupt, disquieting endings mix the creepy and weird with the genuinely terrifying, creating a nice balance as readers jump bravely between stories… Easy to read but definitely not easy to forget.” -- Kirkus Reviews
Praise for The Locker Ate Lucy! (Eerie Elementary #2):
"A good fit for readers not quite ready for... Goosebumps." -- Booklist
Praise for The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1):
"The plot and twisted storyline will serve the beginning chapter book reader well. Word choice, action, and crisp sketches support the story, allowing early readers to develop ideas and easily follow the plot." -- Library Media Connection
"Give this early chapter book to readers who want something scary but aren't ready for the 'Goosebumps' or 'Scream Street' series." -- School Library Journal
Praise for The Last Kids on Earth:
A New York Times bestseller
* "Terrifyingly fun! Max Brallier's The Last Kids on Earth delivers big thrills and even bigger laughs." -- Jeff Kinney, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Diary of a Wimpy Kid
* "Middle-grade readers, particularly boys, will find Jack's pitch-perfect mix of humor, bravado, and self-professed geekiness impossible to resist... The marriage of text and illustration serves as a perfect example of what an illustrated novel can and should be." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Terrifically funny... Snarky end-of-the-world fun." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "This book provides loads of laughs... A gross-out good time with surprisingly nuanced character development." -- School Library Journal, starred review
About the Author
Letizia Rubegni is a children's book illustrator who aims to create a well-balanced mixture of darkness, grotesque, and humor in her artwork. From a very early age, she fell in love with storytelling through pictures. After graduating in Scenography from the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, Letizia gained further qualifications as a television cartoonist and graphic designer. Letizia lives in Tuscany, Italy.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
- Publisher : Scholastic Inc.; Library edition (7 July 2020)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 64 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1338615424
- ISBN-13 : 978-1338615425
- Reading age : 5 - 7 years
- Item Weight : 204 g
- Dimensions : 14.99 x 1.27 x 18.54 cm
- Country of Origin : China
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from other countries
My son is a lover of Dog Man, Eerie Elementary, and Nate the Great, and devoured this book in one sitting. My other child would not have been a fan of this book because she is more sensitive to mystery and campfire scary stories, but my son loves this genre.
The only thing that disappointed my kid was there is no corresponding AR test to this book series at his school, but he still begs to read the next book as soon as it’s released. He reads them purely for pleasure rather than needing to for reading points at school. I’d call that a win!
Reviewed in the United States on 10 July 2020
WÅỲ too short
BÅÐ BÅÐ BÅÐ!
Do not buy if you're expecting something scary or long
ŠØ short for its price!
Only about 20 page or less
BÛT not many words
Even BÅÐ illustrations
ÑËVËR buy if you're expecting something good