Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Handbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Review this product
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
- The pedigree of the authors! Eric Schmidt, Jonathan Rosenberg, Alan Eagle are Google veterans. Just the varied tapestry of stories in this book make it worth it.
- The "anti-obvious" concepts of compassion & 'heart/love' (don't gulp!!) that emerge towards the latter half.
- Bill Campbell, on whom the book is based seems to be a spiritual person vs. a business coach. His principles, ideologies & methodologies seem inhuman. How I wish I had met him.
- The simple, practical, easy to do tips you can follow after reading this book. It's a GREAT self-help book.
- The points that you thought made sense / appealed to you but were scared to voice or follow (Consensus sucks; profanity is OK; the uselessness of PR)
- The solid examples of following 'First Principles' & going by them. (I wonder if Ray Dalio ever met Bill Campbell?)
- WHY money motivates (It's not its utility - it's the scorecard)
- How to lead, motivate & retain teams!
- Awesome data points! "A 2012 study showed that in the video game industry, strong middle management accounted for 22 % of the variance in revenue, while game creative design accounted for only 7%"
Book condition good
The book is about how Bill Campbell dealt with various situations and how he helped top executives of Apple, Google, Facebook ++++etc to deal with important and crucial business decisions.
There is a lot of takeaway from this book, lot to learn. Go for it if you are looking at better business decision making
Besides the foundation for all this starts with leaders’ genuine interest in people – reflected in the way they listen, support and even provoke! And Yes, a good manger is now expected to be a good coach as well.
In Bill’s case achieving all the above is more commendable, given the kind of personalities, teams, companies and issues he dealt with. Book provides glimpses of how well Bill managed various challenging situations.
The book is written with inputs from 80 plus individual who knew Bill well and also the context in which he operated, and have first-hand witnessed his coaching technique and its effectiveness.
For readers, who have not personally worked with Bill, the incentive to pick this book is to learn some useful tips around coaching- which as managers or coaches they can employ. It is here the book falls short of the expectations.
Neither the situations are detailed case studies which can be studied for insights, nor are the techniques or frameworks that Bill applied shared for reference. In most of the instances and situations covered in the book, the effectiveness of Bill gets attributed to his unique personality and his application of established management wisdom, which may be praiseworthy, but not useful.
Book was so simple to read and after completing was wondering is that all it took to coach the CEO's and others of Trllion dollar companies... Bill campbell was the mentor, coach and above all wonderful human being..
Top international reviews
Honestly, we're not kids, we don't need all this cheerleading. Most of BC's homespun wisdom is actually quite straightforward and mere mortals (ie: folks who aren't MIT / Stanford educated quants ) would probably figure these things for themselves in real life. Maybe it's just the geeks who need reminding about stuff like primacy of the team and so forth. Worth a read though
Written in an engaging style and easy to dip in to and out of.
It makes you want to be a better manager and a better person.
In my words: using our Head and Gut Brian brings us to the top, using our Heart makes us a real leader!