The Whistling Schoolboy and Other Stories of School Life Paperback – Unabridged, 6 March 2015
Save Extra with 3 offers
- Cashback (3): Get 25% back up to ₹150 with Amazon Pay Later. Valid on 1st Pay Later transaction. Check eligibility here! Here's how
- 5% back with Amazon Pay ICICI Bank Credit card for Prime-members. 3% back for everybody else. Here's how
- Get 10% up to ₹150 back, pay with Amazon Pay UPI. Valid only for select customers on App. Click here to check eligibility Here's how
- Bank Offer: 5% Instant discount with HSBC Cashback card Here's how
- Partner Offers (1): Get GST invoice and save up to 28% on business purchases. Sign up for free Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who read this book also read
About the Author
From the Publisher
Conversation with Ruskin Bond
Did I read school stories when I was at school?
Very seldom; caught up in the monotonous routine of boarding-school life, I preferred to read about faraway places, desert islands, pirates, jungles infested with tigers and crocodiles—anything as far removed as possible from classroom and dormitories!
I did, however, have one literary boy-hero. He was William Brown (‘Just William’ to his thousands of fans), who did everything possible to stay out of school. If he did turn up, he was usually late. And if he remained in school till the end of the day, his headmaster would have a nervous breakdown.
William is a little out of fashion now. Rebellious schoolboys are unwelcome in a technologically advanced, moralistic, exam-oriented society. We prefer a polished Bill Gates to an eccentric Einstein. Eccentrics do unpredictable things, and we have become afraid of the unpredictable.
We had exams in my schooldays too, but they were only a part of the process of growing up.
There were also such things as nature walks and picnics, excursions to historical places, football games, cricket, comic books, visits to the cinema, ice cream parlours and clandestine visits to the neighbouring girls’ school.
Some of these things I remember, and some I have written about. Here is a personal selection. Dip into it, enjoy meeting some unusual people, and then back to your fantasy world!
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
- Item Weight : 100 g
- Paperback : 142 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9788129135797
- ISBN-13 : 978-8129135797
- Dimensions : 12.7 x 0.84 x 20.3 cm
- Publisher : Rupa Publications India; First edition (6 March 2015)
- Reading level : 9 - 12 years
- Language: : English
- ASIN : 8129135795
- Best Sellers Rank: #916 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Review this product
Top reviews from India
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
That's why I returned the book.
Rather I ordered another book "The man from the egg" which is quite better.Atleast these stories can create interest for.kids and parents can read and explain to kids.
A great book for bedtime reading with your child! Highly recommended.
Where have we lost it ? This simplicity that Ruskin so beautifully draws and let others have a stroll towards their childhood.