Top positive review
Written for children....rather a good book!
Reviewed in India on 1 December 2018
A good book for children to learn the workings of modern economic system. But there are certain things which needs to be shared with:
1. Nowhere it is highlighted that the book is 'specially' written for children (children are the target readers is clear by the texts on the pages 67, 69, 101, 109, 113, 117, 141 and 152). It should have been highlighted by the publishers on the FRONT as well as BACK pages (better in the endorsement of Raghuram Rajan itself). It seems a case of 'businessman-ship' by the Red Turtle.
2. Endorsement by an economist of international repute (that too Raghuram Rajan) creates a 'false' sense as if it has been written for grow-ups! Such a heavyweight endorsement looks for creating just a hype to enhance sales of the book. Rather such a 'huge' endorsement was not needed. Roopa Pai is already among the largest selling writer and well known name for children books by now!
3. It has some incorrect information also such as banks borrows from RBI to lend to its customers. Rather banks borrow from RBI for not to promote the cause of their normal lending but in cases of emergency (RBI is 'bank of last resort' for other banks operating in the country).
4. Writer directly uses the term 'invest' (on page 145) without giving any idea to the reader as what is 'investment' (putting money in productive assets).
5. Writing on the MRP (page 65) is not clear enough to make children (its target readers) comprehend it.
But overall a good attempt by the writer to bring economic across to a wider readership that too the children. Rupa's 'Red Turtle' is doing commendable job by promoting such writings. Good luck!