*Record number of Prime members celebrate Amazon India’s first Prime Day *
• On Prime Day and the week leading up to it, more customers joined Prime than any full month since the launch of Prime in India
• Prime members ordered close to 3X* more on Prime Day than normal days
• Amazon India’s 1st Original series, Inside Edge was the most streamed title in a single day for Prime Video in India - more members streamed 10th July than any other day since Prime Video launched.
• Multiple Prime Day Exclusive launches see sell-out demand
• Top ups on Amazon Pay increased significantly on Prime Day. Percentage of digital payments highest in 12 months
Bengaluru – July 14, 2017 – Amazon’s first Prime Day celebration in India attracted a record number of customers.- Since announcing Prime Day, more customers joined Prime than any full month since launch. Amazon devices - Kindle and Fire TV Stick - saw their biggest sales day yet on Prime Day and Amazon.in’s mega TV deal on TCL buy one get one free TVs sold out in minutes. Prime members shopped across categories like Smartphones, Fashion, TVs, Home & Kitchen, Appliances and Pantry especially popular. FireTVStick, OnePlus 5 Smartphone and Seagate Expansion 1.5TB Portable External Drive emerged as the top 3 best sellers on Prime Day in India were
On Amazon Prime Video, more members streamed on Prime Day (10th July) than any other day since launch. Amazon India’s first Original “Inside Edge” on the launch day, caught the imagination of a cricket and entertainment loving nation and went on to become the most streamed title in a single day for Prime Video in India since launch.
“We are humbled the overwhelming response to our first Prime Day in India. With records set for Prime member sign ups, shopping across categories, streaming of Prime Video and Amazon Pay top ups customers clearly voted for the value and convenience of Amazon Prime.” said Amit Agarwal, SVP and Country Head, Amazon India “We will keep working hard to ensure Prime continues to make customers’ life better every day. We are already looking forward to our Prime Day celebration next year.”
Highlights from India’s first Prime Day
• Prime membership grew significantly including smaller towns like Alwar, Muktsar, Gulbarga, and Nalgonda.
• Prime Video introduces binge watching to India - customers across India from Jammu to Ernakulum to Port Blair streamed Inside Edge.
• On Prime day, members enjoyed the fast and convenient experience offered by Amazon Pay balance. Top-Ups increased by 17X over normal days. 5X more members paid for their purchases using Amazon Pay Balance. As an indication of the growing trust which Amazon enjoys with its Prime members, the percentage of orders paid using digital payment methods was the highest in the past 12 months exceeding de-monetization.
• Smartphones recorded a 5X* jump in sales. Honor received its biggest opening ever for its smartphone Honor 8 Pro which was launched exclusively on Prime Day. Top selling brands were OnePlus, Xiaomi, Honor, Motorola, Samsung and Apple.
• Members made a sound choice with Bose Sound link III which recorded more sales in 30 hours than it has in the past 3 months on Amazon.in.
• Photographers clicked a perfect shot with the Canon 1300D which saw more sales on Amazon.in in the 30 hours of Prime Day than it has in the past 30 days on Amazon.in
• Amazon Fashion saw tremendous growth with exclusive launches from brands like Forever 21, ASICS, Lavie, Gap, and Louis Philippe. Top performing brands were ASICS (9X), Hush Puppies (9X), US Polo Ass. (8X)
• Beauty enthusiasts shopped for 5X more Deodorants than on a normal day in 2017 with Axe being the most sold brand. Skincare saw 2X increase in sales with Nivea being the most sold brand.
• Sports and Fitness saw a 2X jump in sales on Prime Day led by exclusive launches from Salman Khan's Being Human Foundation’s E-cycles
• Kitchen Appliances saw a 2.5X jump in sales on Prime Day led by exclusive launches from Preeti and Butterfly. “Pigeon Handy Chopper” saw a 10X increase in sales compared to normal days in 2017.
• Washing Machines saw a 8X spike in sales boosted by exclusive launches by IFB, Samsung and also driven by 8X spike in BPL and 7X spike in Bosch washing machine.
• Recliner sales saw more than 18X* increase boosted by the exclusive launch from Forzza furniture.
• TV’s were a huge draw with the ‘buy one get one’ offer from TCL vanishing in minutes. Sanyo saw a 4X increase in the sale of TVs, thanks to the exclusive launch of the Sanyo Smart Range. Overall on Prime Day, TVs sold 8X more than normal days in 2017.
• In Toys, brands like Barbie & Hot Wheels and Lego saw a 6X and 10X jump in sales respectively.
• Book lovers enjoyed the first time ever exclusive author signed copies by 30 popular authors including Arundhati Roy, Chetan Bhagat, Amish Tripathi and Ruskin Bond.
• Prime Day was especially sweet as Sales of sugar went up 3X on Amazon Pantry!
More than One Day of Shopping
Prime Day is so much more than one day of deal shopping. Partners, brands, sellers and members made Prime Day what it was.
Seller Highlights from Prime Day
Prime Day was a great success for sellers. Feedback from sellers includes:
“Prime Day has provided a win-win situation for both buyers and sellers alike. We witnessed a 5X increase in our sales volume compared to a normal day and boosted our revenues tremendously. Our buyers too have gained significantly from the fabulous discounts offered” said Rohan Naik, Founder, Roots Hair & Beauty Pvt. Ltd.
“Thanks to Amazon Prime Day we had the opportunity to get in front of a new audience. The visibility garnered for our products helped double our sales and this is bound to help us in the future as well” said Manoj Dhaduk, Director, Jaldhara.
Brand Highlight form Prime Day
“We are overwhelmed by the nation-wide response we have received for the OnePlus 5 during the Amazon ‘Prime Day’ sale. Furthermore, Amazon.in played a vital role in the success of the OnePlus 5, which has been clear from the reactions to the phone since its recent launch. We are committed to giving OnePlus fans the best smartphone and the OnePlus 5 has proved to be just that” said Vikas Agarwal, General Manager - India, OnePlus
Member Highlights from Prime Day I
The best measure of Prime Day is delighted members. The stories below are from Prime members who shopped & streamed on Prime Day…
“Prime Day tempted me to make the move and become a Prime member and I experienced the benefits right away! I was looking to buy gifts for some of my teachers celebrating special occasions in their lives. I got a great Prime Day deal on bedsheet sets from a very popular brand. Most of my products were delivered the very next day and for free!! I really enjoyed the experience of shopping from the comfort of my office.” said Mrs. Suchitra, School Principal, Bangalore
“I had heard about Fire TV Stick when Amazon first launched it in India. On Prime Day, I came across a super cool offer for the Fire TV Stick. It was one of the best offers I have ever seen on Amazon devices. Now with the FireTV Stick I can now enjoy all the movies and shows on Amazon Prime Video on my TV. Entertainment has been totally redefined for me!” said Nishikanth Nandiraju, IT professional, Karimnagar Telangana
Twitter is ablaze after members watched Inside Edge
“Watched Ep 1&2 of #InsideEdge on @AmazonVideo and it's off to great start! Congratulations “tweeted Sameer Nair Senior Indian media executive with stints in Balaji Telefilms and ex- CEO of Star TV
“Bingewatched #InsideEdge. A delightful Amazon Original. India's first. Congrats” tweeted Pritish Nandy - Founder, Promoter and Non-executive Chairman Pritish Nandy Communications.
For media queries, please contact:
Amazon India | Michelle Kumar |+91 9845061533 | email@example.com
Weber Shandwick | Parvathi Nair | +91 9920927858 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The Amazon.in marketplace is operated by Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd, an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN). Amazon.in seeks to build the most customer-centric online destination for customers to find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online by giving them more of what they want – vast selection, low prices, fast and reliable delivery, and a trusted and convenient experience; and provide sellers with a world-class e-commerce platform
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews