Top critical review
Good keyboard, mouse is driving me nuts
8 July 2018
I needed another keyboard and mouse after purchasing a refurbished Dell Optiplex 960 from Amazon for general home use. As a rule, refurbs aren't sold with monitor, keyboard or mouse. After 5 months, I've decided it is a 4-star keyboard and a 2-star mouse.
* Feel & touch of keys: The keys have a nice touch to them, with low "stickyness" and just the right amount of resistance.
* "Plate-style" case: the keys are placed in individual slots on the keyboard, which prevents dust from getting between the keys.
* The shortcut keys (music player, volume up/dn, calculator) are too close to the keyboard and 10-key. I have accidentally brought up the music player and calculator so many times I ended up super-gluing their shortcut keys in place.
* The Function keys are spaced evenly instead of groupings of 4 (F1-F4, F5-F8, F9-F12) and placed too close to the top row.
* The shortcut keys I would use most (play, stop, next track, last track) are combined with Function keys F9-F12, which is not so convenient.
With the music and calculator keys glued in place, the nice touch of the keys is what stands out most. It is a very good value.
* The left and right clicks have a nice feel, as does the wheel. The clicks are more sensitive than with other mice I've used.
* The satin finish looks good and feels nice to the touch.
* I am constantly right-clicking by accident, interrupting mouse control or invoking commands I had not intended. It is so annoying that it drove me to write this review. In 25 years of PC's I have never had this much trouble with a mouse.
I'm not certain why the right-clicks are so hard to avoid, but I think it must be related to the lower profile of this mouse. As per the attached photo, a side view shows how the Amazon has less of a "hump" than my ASUS mouse and my Logitech wireless mouse. I think that somehow this causes the muscles controlling my right-click (ring) finger to fatigue and slip.
It's just a theory, but there is no doubt about the accidental right-clicks - they are a prominent feature for me. Other folks, a musician for example, may have little or no trouble with this, or they may have even more for all I know.
3.5 stars is closer to the mark for this combo; the feel of both keyboard and mouse are very good and the keyboard does not collect dust under the keys. With the noted problems addressed it could easily be a 5-star combo and an unbeatable value.