Top critical review
Satisfactory English Grammar book
Reviewed in India on 16 September 2020
PRACTICAL ENGLISH USAGE - Fully revised international edition- Michael Swan
What I liked in this book:
1. Differences between British and American English -
I found it in this book and not in the latest version of Wren & Martin book. The old version of Wren & Martin book published by S.Chand around 2004 had this content but now this specific content is removed in the latest Wren & Martin book. Don't know why did the publishers removed it.
2. The book clarifies how to construct the correct sentence.
3. Everything in grammar is included in this book.
Suggestions for improvement:
1. Too much textual matter. The sub-topics begin with a small letter. The black and white text looks boring. It can be enhanced with some blue or red text.
2. No pictures, just plain boring text.
3. No proper highlighted heading.
4. Practice examples with answers were not given.
5. As far as this is concerned, I preferred using Advanced English Grammar by Martin Hewings because it has visuals, common grammatical mistakes people make and assessment questions with answers.
Overall, not a bad book at all! The content is good but the the publishers need to improve on the presentation, layouts, fonts colors and highlights to make it visually attractive.
I attach photos of the topics covered and a few snapshots in this book to help buyers with their purchase.
The dimensions of this book as as follows:
Length: 23.2 cm
Width: 15.5 cm
Thickness: 3.2 cm
Mass: approx 1 kg
The Contents in this book are:
2. Be, have and do
3. Present tenses
4. Talking about the future
5. Past and perfect tenses
7. Modal Auxiliary verbs
8. Infinitives - ing forms and past participles
9. Infinitives - ing forms and past participles after Nouns, verbs
10. Infinitives - ing forms and past participles: other uses
11. Nouns and noun phrases: Agreement
12. Determiners: a/an and the; my, your, etc this that etc
13. Determiners: Quantifiers
16. Adverbs and adverbials
19. Basic clause types
20. Conjunctions, sentences and Clauses
21. Relative clauses
23. Other adverbial clauses
24. Noun clauses, direct and indirect speech
25. Information structure
26. Written texts
27. Speech and spoken exchanges
28. Varieties of English
29. Vocabulary areas
30. Word formation and spelling
31. Word problems from A to Z