Top critical review
The best you can be!
Reviewed in India on 16 August 2017
It's a short book, and can be summarized in half a page. The rules of motivation as per the writer, are -
1. The deathbed rule. Be aware of your mortality, that you have limited time in this life. Create some urgency around your goals, because you don't have "forever" to achieve them
2. Immediately create a vision of what you want to be..it will make you hungry to live that vision
3. Very similar to 3 above - create a picture of your highest (best) self, a picture you can live up to
4. Focus; cut out the noise, keep your goal firmly in sight, don't get distracted by worries & fears
5. "Stage" a battle bigger than the one you have to face (and which you fear). The "real" battle will then become easier
6. Remain focused on your goal(s), simplify your life; get rid of all that is superfluous & distracting. Focus & motivation go hand in hand
7. Don't grumble about your circumstances; rather look for opportunities. Opportunity is "all you need to be happy", and they are all around you!
8. This one is my favorite - Find your "buttons", i.e. what motivates/inspires you, and learn to push your own buttons. Control your environment (through pushing your buttons), so that your motivation remains under YOUR control
9. Build a track record to prove to YOURSELF that you can do something. I liked the idea of keeping this record in my notebook, and referring to it constantly to feel more confident about yourself.
10. And finally... life will be full of unexpected challenges. We often need to be creative to come up with solutions to these problems. Creativity is not the prerogative of a select few, we all possess it. It has nothing to do with originality, it is about tackling the unexpected.
So...does the book mention anything original? Not really...but it's nice to be reminded of what's important! Points number 8 and 9 were helpful, at least for me. Should you buy this book...well, it does make you think in the right direction, and heck - you can't go wrong with 10 bucks! I think I'll read some more books in this series!