Top positive review
Useful if you know how to use.
12 March 2019
Basic notes before review: This impact drill is meant for indoor usage, and for small DIY activities. It is perfect for small home projects, fixing a screw to the wall for hanging utilities, making shelves, etc. It is NOT meant for outdoor use, and it can’t be used on heavy metal or similar objects.
1. Please buy it WITH the kit. The portable hard case provided is very sturdy. It takes up very less space & can be kept neatly anywhere around the house. It also has proper space for all products provided, including the drill bits, so they’re not misplaced or mixed up. Once put, they stay in their designated place.
2. The variety of drill bits and screw driver bits provided is sufficient. The quality is moderate, good enough for the before mentioned activities.
3. This is both a power drill AND a HAMMER DRILL. Hammer drill mode is very useful while making a hole in the wall.
4. It has both clockwise and anti-clockwise modes. So, you can both screw and unscrew with this.
5. Spare handle is provided, for both comfort and safety. It is detachable. You can hence place both hands on the drill while working, it gives great stability and safety.
6. Several screws and wall plugs are given, with varying sizes. Please make sure that you ALWAYS use wall plugs (the plastic covering for screws) before drilling a screw to the wall. NEVER drill a screw directly on to the wall.
7. The device has a lock mode. You can start the device rotation and lock it in place. Please make sure you KNOW how to use this mode. It is VERY DANGEROUS if you’re not sure how to use this mode.
1. There is a ruler provided. However, I haven’t found this useful at all. It’s quite difficult to use. And honestly, I’d rather just mark the depth directly on the drill bit, rather than using a ruler.
2. The device gets quite hot within 10 minutes of using. This isn’t a big issue, because this is actually meant to be used for small activities. It’s quite obvious.
Some important points, which other people have mentioned as problems:
1. Overheating: I saw a few reviews where people complained of overheating, or device stopped working after several minutes/hours of usage. This is because it’s a SMALL drill. Do not compare it with Bosch mid range or high end drills. Those are heavy duty equipments, while these are small ones. It has a small motor, and isn’t meant to be used continuously for more than 20~30 minutes. If you use it more than that, you WILL come across problems. Take frequent breaks while working with this and allow it to cool down.
2. Sparks: If you see sparks inside the device, it’s quite normal. Make sure you use appropriate gloves when you use this. I personally don’t use gloves, but I use the device with frequent breaks in between, hence I don’t have any problems. These ‘sparks’ arise because there are several metal parts that are spinning and touching each other inside. It happens in any drilling machine.
3. Device not running smoothly: Like any machine, this needs to be maintained. The device maintenance depends on a lot of variables. Primarily, you need to keep the device properly lubricated. Frequency of lunrication depends on number of hours worked, environment where you have worked, etc. Please clean all appropriate places and don’t let dirt accumulate. This causes the motors to have a ‘jerky’ motion and dry out all the lubrication. If you aren’t sure how and when to lubricate, please take it to any basic hardware shop, and they will do it for you. It costs VERY LESS! I pay around ₹50 to get it lubricated once in 3~4 months.
4. I have used this device to drill holes and place mounts of the wall to hang my guitar, hang the modem, shelves, etc. Please note that drilling a hole in the wall takes considerable amount of time and strength. Also, learn to use hammer mode properly and drilling holes becomes easier. It takes around 3~4 minutes to drill a hole with this machine.
5. Drill bits broken/bent: I have used the drill bits provided with the kit for several months. I have never come across a problem. People who had broken bits or bent bits have to understand that these bits are not meant for heavy usage. Also, they get very hot because they aren’t made of high quality metals. You should drill for about 30 seconds, wait another 30 seconds for it to cool, and drill again. If you continuously drill for over a minute, the drill bit becomes very hot, and hence starts to bend due to heat. For people who had broken drill bits, it means you exerted too much pressure! This is very dangerous, as broken drill bits can come flying in any direction and hit anywhere. When you’re drilling something and you feel a lot of pressure to push, it’s always safe to back off and drill lightly for a while. A wall isn’t made up of same material. For a while you may drill into soft material, and later you might hit something harder. You need to ease into it and wait until you can penetrate. You should also decrease the drill speed and keep drilling until an indentation is made, and can be penetrated. If you keep pushing, the drill bit will break. Lastly, you can even upgrade your drill bits by buying higher quality bits.
Conclusion: The device is amazing, and is meant for indoor use. If this is your need, buy the machine. Don’t buy this and work on large projects. It can be intimidating initially, so, work on small things first. And get comfortable. Remember to always think about safety first, and if something doesn’t feel right, always stop. Wear protective equipment like gloves, eye protection, etc. I am completely happy with my purchase. I have been using it since over a year, and I haven’t faced any problem yet. I would totally recommend it.