Top positive review
Not another productivity book.... much more than that !!!
Reviewed in India on 25 October 2020
# 🚀 The Book in 1 Sentence
Make Time is about creating space in your life for what truly matters using highlights, laser-style focus, energizing breaks, and regularly reflecting on how you spend your most valuable asset.
# 🎨 Impressions
This is a life changing book. There are so many practical tips, or golden nuggets, throughout this book that will help us find time for what is important in our life without making even the slightest dent in our regular schedule. A must read for everyone.
# 🔍 How I Discovered It
This book was featured by youtuber Ali Abdal in his YouTube channel as one of the three books that changed his life.
# 📖 Who Should Read It?
- Anyone who feel exhausted by the busyness of modern life and are unable to find time for what is important to them.
- Social media and smartphone users who feel like their devices and apps own them, rather than the other way around.
- Quarter, mid and late-life crisis sufferers who sense their lives are slipping by in a busy, distracted blur.
# ☘️ How the Book Changed Me
This book changed my life immediately in many ways -
- I understood that I waste a considerable amount of time in my day scrolling through instagram and facebook, which were my distraction kryponites. So, I uninstalled both. It was tough at first, but soon I realised my life is a lot more peaceful now, and that I don't miss them anymore.
- I used to create to-do lists. But this book made me realise that anyone who has a to-do list will try to check maximum boxes quickly, so will take up the easy tasks first, and hence the important ones are left out. This had a scary resonance with my own practices. Now, I started micro-managing my day, by creating a weekly agenda based on the to-do list, and adding those to my calendar each day, and reflecting at the end of the day on whether I could find time to do everything planned, and adjusting for the coming days accordingly. This has helped me finish off my tasks more efficiently
- I now have a highlight for (almost) every day, and using the above tactic, I am able to find time for the highlight
- I no longer get all panicked thinking I have wasted my day unintentionally.
- Also I now realise that I do not have to achieve all the to-dos for the day and still be happy that I have finished the highlight, which is the most important thing I planned for that day.
I am sure that as I start implementing more tactics detailed in this book, it will keep on changing my life in ways I couldn't imagine before I started reading this book.
# ✍️ My Top 3 Quotes
- Being more productive didn’t mean I was doing the most important work; it only meant I was reacting to other people’s priorities faster.
- Part of the reason we’re all so hooked on distractions is that everybody else is, too. It’s the fear of missing out—FOMO—and we’ve all got it.
- You only waste time if you’re not intentional about how you spend it.