Top positive review
Saviour of the Android tablet world.
18 July 2019
In the world where iPad’s have gained dominance because of its great hardware and due to Android’s own incompetence of producing a better tablet OS, Samsung has finally managed to nail this one. With exceptionally great hardware to smooth software integration, Samsung was able to keep this at affordable price.
Let’s begin with the Pros of this device as the cons are few to none.
1. Display: This is where your most of the money is going in. That large 10.5-inch super AMOLed panel with 16:10 aspect ratio is a treat to your eyes while reading on Kindle or binge watching on Netflix. It has deep blacks, great contrast and accurate color reproduction. For the outdoor people, the tab is very much visible under direct sunlight and can be used without any issues.
2. Speakers: With great display, you need greater speakers. And Samsung delivered it. The ever loud quad speaker setup tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos provides you best portable media consumption combination.
3. Design: This is the thinnest tablet or mobile device I ever held in my life. My already slimmest Galaxy S10 feels thick now after using this tab. And with slim profile, the lighter weight makes it easier to hold for long your long Kindle or Netflix sessions.
4. Battery: All that great display and loudspeakers need power to run for long sessions. Needless to say, huge 7040mah battery with power efficient processor is the perfect combination you needed, and Samsung delivered it. No complaints here whatsoever. This tab hardly runs out of juice even after deliberate attempts.
(01-Aug-19) Note: After 15+ days of vigorous usage, it's safe to conclude that battery lasts for weeks on standby as idle drain is 0.1% per hour. Results are calculated manually as well as AccuBattery results. Also, the On Screen Usage time is almost 12-13 hrs which is outstanding for such big bright display. Overall exceptionally power efficient.
5. Price: This is definitely an affordable tablet considering that ultra-immersive big display along with great speakers and best in class battery. No android tablet or even iPads can compete with these factors at $400 price tag.
Neither a Pro nor a Con:
Performance: Sure, the device has a mid-range processor to keep that affordable price tag, but the Snapdragon 670 is no slouch in any way. Coupled with 4gb ram and 64gb storage with room to expand it upto 512gb, it’s clear that Samsung’s focus was more on making it media friendly and less as productivity tool.
Yes, the tab will suffer occasional stutters with lots of apps opened in background but if you’re an avg consumer you’re good to go. Gaming with realistic expectations is very much possible with medium to high graphics on popular games.
Now the Cons, else people will consider this review as biased or paid.
1. No headphone jack: A media focussed tablet with no headphone jack is a bummer and can be deal breaker for some. To keep that 5.5” slim profile, Samsung decided to embrace the current market trend and it was a terrible move.
2. Not that I can think of any other. You tell me in the comments below.
In the already slow-paced tablet industry and almost dead for android, this tablet definitely feels like a superhero risen from ashes to serve the needs of an average consumer at an affordable price.
Edit: Purchased the Samsung's Book Cover Keyboard with it at an offer price of Rs. 3499 (normally sold at Rs. 7999) and it's totally worth it. Writing this edit portion with the keyboard cover and external mouse attached to it is lot more easy and productive than using on screen keyboard.