Top positive review
Stylish & Feature-packed phone with Mediocre Camera & Overheating
Reviewed in India on 7 December 2019
I am not going to lure you with all the specifications that you can easily find on the product's description. This review is all about my initial impressions of Vivo U20 smartphone, its overall performance and feasibility.
I bought this cellphone (6 GB RAM/64 GB Storage / Blazing Blue) on the first flash sale for Rs.11,990. The product got delivered to me on the very next day inside a well-sealed box, which is impressive.
✤ BOX CONTENTS:
Vivo U20 phone, fast charging adapter (18W), USB to Micro USB cable, transparent mobile case (good quality), SIM ejector pin, and user manual.
✤ NEGATIVES (a few):
• This mobile overheats (43°C - 45°C) near the rear camera within 30-40 minutes of graphics-intensive gaming and heavy multitasking. It's more or less a common story with most of the devices at this segment.
• No USB Type-C port.
• It comes pre-loaded with many bloatware (apps). Most of these apps can be deleted but re-appear after a reset.
• The quality of the photos via the wide-angle lens and in low lighting condition is not up to the mark.
• Slow-motion and time-lapse videos are grainy.
• Vivo's Funtouch UI lags occasionally.
• The audio tends to distort a bit at 80%-100% volume.
✤ POSITIVES (too many):
• This smartphone looks stylish and premium. I love its gradient 'blazing blue' colour and superior glossy finish of the plastic body. It's large, a tad heavy (195 Gram) but feels sturdy in hand.
• Vivo U20 packs a large 6.53-inch Full HD+ (2340 x 1080px) display with 2.5D curved edges. It's protected by 'Panda MN228' glass. The display is sharp, bright, and it looks stunning (394 PPI). It has a moderately thin bezel (85% screen-to-body ratio).
• This phone runs on Android 9.0 (Pie) and Vivo's Funtouch OS 9.2 on top. The UI has a fresh design with some new and customisable features like 'file safe', 'easy touch', 'bike modes', etc.
• Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 675 processor along with Adreno 612 GPU and 6 GB RAM make this phone a powerhouse. It can handle CPU intensive works like video editing, multitasking and gaming pretty well.
• This device houses 64 GB of internal storage. You can add a microSD card up to 256 GB to expand the storage. It also has USB OTG support to connect external drives.
• 5000 mAh battery gives this device an incredible 'battery life'. With regular usage and moderate gaming, the phone stays operational for more than 36 hours (tested). It has a 'Low power mode' and 'Super power saving mode' as well to boost the battery life.
• Vivo U20 supports Dual Engine Fast Charging. It takes about 1 hour and 50 minutes to charge the mobile from 0 to 100% with its18W Fast charger.
• The sound/audio output (at 60%-80% volume) from the mobile's speaker is decent and comparatively better via ear/headphones.
• The phone unlocks pretty fast via the rear fingerprint sensor. It also has a face unlock feature which works like a charm.
• Dual 4G SIM (Stand-by) support comes handy.
• Value for money.
✤ GAMING PERFORMANCE:
This phone can easily handle most of the popular graphics-intensive games like PUBG, Arena of valor, Asphalt 9 in high settings. Besides that, it has an 'Ultra game Mode' and 'Esports mode' which have highly optimised features for smooth and uninterrupted gameplay.
✤ CAMERA & PHOTOS:
- Vivo U20 houses triple rear camera panel which includes a 16 MP primary lens (f/1.78), one 8 MP 120° wide-angle lens (f/2.2), and a 2 MP (f/2.4) macro lens.
- The '16 MP selfie camera (f/2.0) takes decent quality photos, and also add a mild bokeh to the selfies when captured via portrait mode. It has HDR and also can shoot Full HD videos 30 FPS.
- Photos from the primary rear camera in daylight (with HDR) look sharp and beautiful. Macro images (shot in bright light) seem decent as well.
- This device can shoot good quality 4K (2160p) videos at 30 FPS and 1080p videos at 60 FPS.
- It has a 'slow-mo' and 'time-lapse' mode to shoot videos at 720p. Besides that, you can also shoot Full HD videos at 30 FPS using the 8 MP wide-angle camera.
✤ DIMENSION ~ 16.2 cm (length) x 7.6 cm (width) x 0.89 cm (depth)
✤ WEIGHT ~ 196 Gram
Despite some minor issues, I would still highly recommend this smartphone to others. It's an elegant and powerful device packed with many outstanding features which comes under a lucrative price.